Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Method

Matt and I had a great time on our little mini-vacay. We were talking yesterday while running errands how it felt like we got away together for a couple of days for an actual vacation. It makes whatever we are doing a lot more fun knowing that the kids are taken so well care of. Dana said they were perfect. :) It's so funny b/c Bayleigh didn't start throwing her little temper tantrums until we would get home. She's such a smart little thing. She knows she can really test us when Grandma is there b/c she knows that we will tell her "no" but Grandma won't. :) It's so funny, that little stinker. Mr. Blake is becoming quite the flirt. Dana was telling us how he'll just look at her then crack this half-smile, like he's flirting, then go on to this big ol' grin. Love that little man. He has a bad diaper rash that we are going to see the doctor today. Of course, when I called yesterday it was really bad and we had some medicine left over from B1 because she had the same thing happen around the same age, and what do you know, it's getting better this morning. LOL Oh well. I need some more of that cream anyway.

Ok, so back to our mini-vacay. We had a wonderful time and I learned a lot. Most of it I already know and have seen either watching his RFD show or his dvd kit. But it really opened my eyes to asking more of Leo. My problem was that once he got something, I wouldn't get him to be perfect at it. Clinton was explaining that once the horse knows what you are asking, then next day go back and start refining it and making your movements less exaggerated. While I had done that, Leo wasn't giving me 100% when asked to do something b/c I wasn't asking for 100%. Also, after he would do an exercise a couple of times, like when warming up, he would do it great then he would get lazy at it. So Clinton helped me to realize to get on to him and ask for perfection EVERY TIME. Not just at the beginning or here and there.

After the show on Sunday I came home and Matt and I went to the barn (I wanted his input as well) to work Leo. It's so funny b/c Leo didn't know what to expect. I had been so light with him that when I started asking for more and actually getting him to do it by putting more pressure on him, he was like "Whoa! (no pun intended HAHA) What is wrong with you woman?! I never have to put forth this much energy. What is this non-sense???" LOL I am one of those people that when I want something done and you know what you are doing, I want perfection. Now that I've been working with him, he's a bit standoff-ish of me when I go to get him in the pasture now, which is Ok, b/c he'll eventually learn that I'm not trying to be aggressive, just give me the correct answer and give 100% and I won't have to get on to you. He was like that before when we started The Method so I know he'll come around. Matt wants me to start teaching him to side-pass, which won't be hard, but it doesn't start until the intermediate series and I'm not there yet. But I might play around with him today when Matt gets off duty. :)

So here are the pictures. I learned so much. This is just some of it. I've got to get off this thing and clean up the kitchen from yesterday before the kids wake up. I've got to get their bags ready so I can drop B1 off at daycare then B2 and I will head to the doc. Somewhere in there I've got to get myself ready. Haha Have a great Wednesday!!!



 Clinton and one of his horses, Jillaroo

 Asking to roll over her hocks

 About to roll over her hocks, like what a cuttin' horse does when the cow changes directions

 Bowing :)

 Takin' a breather 
 Clinton walking around with Jillaroo following him everywhere he goes



 Establishing direction with one of the local problem horses. 

 Now THAT'S a horse trailer

 Teaching another problem horse to yield it's hindquarters

 Collection on Jillaroo. 

 One of my favs. Sidepassing under saddle

 Spinning

 I love photos like this one I captured. This is side passing as well. 

Talking with the crowd. 

Overall it was a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I got to watch him. I still have a lot to learn but any chance I get to see this guy I'm all for it. :) Thank you so much again Dana for coming! Love you!

♥ K

No comments: