So working with Sonny has been going OK. Since I've never done this type of training with her, round penning that is, I am still trying to make sure I'm doing it right. I keep trying to look for the signs that she's understanding and sometimes I see them and then other times she'll pin her ears back and I can tell she's annoyed. More than likely from not understanding what I'm asking or from too much pressure on her when she's doing the right thing. I realized, after talking with Sylia this morning when I went to the barn to ride, I was applying too much pressure on her and not releasing quick enough to let her know that she's doing the correct thing. Sylia is going to watch me round pen her tonight. I'm going to have to wear a glove tonight on my left had b/c I gave my forefinger a HUGE blister from the handy stick. We had more trouble on the right side, going in a circle clockwise, than we did the lef side going counter-clockwise. She would stop at the gate, stop a couple feet away from the gate then stop at the back part of the pen and all three of those she would try and turn and go the other way. Very frustrating. But you always have to end on some kind of good note of them doing what you asked. So we did.
She's getting better adjusted to things. Sonny's has started to put on weight as well and starting to fill out. She's gonna look so good. :) I got up early this morning to go ride her. Once she adjusted to the uncovered arena she did pretty good. I got my verbal ques down. She is so smart she picked up on them right away. 1 cluck-walk; 2-clucks-trot; kiss-lope. I was so excited that she picked up on that. Still gonna have to work with her on it until she gets it down pact but she's got the general idea. I couldn't really ride in that big of a circle in the arena b/c it was still somewhat muddy in a couple of places from all the rain. Hopefully with the sun beaming down today it will dry up fully. She's a little touchy also with her feet. Not that she tries to kick me when I pick them up to clean them, but sometimes she just won't pick them up. Her back feet are more sensitive and that makes me a little nervous since she could side swipe me..but I don't think she would..but you always have to be careful. But I've been working with her on that too and she's coming along.
I think once she gets really settled all these little quirks will go away. Just as long as she knows I'm the "head mare." LOL That's one thing that I have read in Clinton Anderson's book is that horses will always test you. Not in a hard or mean way, but to see what they can get away with and so it's a constant reminder to them for the things that you'll allow and won't allow them to do and always reminding them that you are FIRST and they are SECOND.
Having her though has made me so happy. Issues that I constantly think about with my family or things that have really pissed me off lately in general all vanish when I'm out there. And usually Sylia or Kim and Kevin are out there as well. Sonny, no matter how attitude-ish she can be, is my therapist in a way. ha ha. Sylia and I have gotten pretty close. She's talks to me about her issues and I talk to her about mine. I think we're going to the Jacks Brooks arena sometime this weekend...maybe tomorrow. Dunno. It's HUGE covered arena and I'm hoping to get Sonny moving some. But it's been really nice to make some "horse" friends who have the same passion that I do.
OH Matt fixed the computer so I'll hopefully be putting some pictures up of Miss B. Mimi is having so much fun with her. B is starting to walk, holding on to the couch or other objects, but she's picking those little feet up. She is just so precious. She has so many facial expressions now that just crack us up. Her top teeth are coming it too. Well just one that we've seen break through her gums. I'm going to just laugh if only one comes through at a time. How funny will that look?! We fed her spaghetti the other night. TOOO FUNNY! She would put a noodle in her mouth, then suck it in. It was so funny. She loved it and she got pretty "skettied" up as well. I have pictures don't worry. I will post them tonight or tomorrow.
I just noticed also my title. I swear I put the title in for what I'm going to talk about and I always get sidetracked from my main point. LOL Oh well. That's who I am. Pretty scatterbrained sometimes. haha Another thing that has nothing to do with the title...I think Matt and I may try to do something tonight, just dinner or something simple since my mom is in town and can watch B for us. Give us some time to actually do something. :) That will be nice. We haven't been to a dinner just ourselves for a while. I'm craving some steak baby! Just wanted to let you know! he he...Hope everyone has a good Friday night. ♥ K
No comments:
Post a Comment