I have finally started working with my horse. We went and got her Sunday from Beaumont. I am so grateful to Kim and Kevin for letting me ride with them when they went out to get her for me. They are such good people and so kind. Sonny is still adjusting to the new surroundings and it will take some time for her to become fully comfortable with everything. She's going to be a good lil mare. However, I am going to have to start at the basics with her to gain her respect and trust. I have been watching a lot of Clinton Anderson to understand what needs to be done so when I actually start training her for cutting or reining she respect what I'm asking and it won't make the task 10 times harder. From what I've read from his book, it's what you should do when you first get a horse, no matter what age. B/c if a horse thinks it has the slightest chance to walk all over you, it will. I won't go into too much detail on that. But she's coming along nicely. This is definitely something that I am going to have to have A LOT of patience with. Haha...maybe it will teach me to have more patience with things. But I am excited to start. I haven't done too much with her yet, but plan on starting this evening with the guidelines that Clinton has laid out in his book.
Matt is excited to start too. I love how much excitement and passion he shows about this whole journey. It's so wonderful to finally have someone who actually wants to share something that I love so much. Sylia has been a HUGE help and such a friend throughout this. We've become pretty good friends. She's a few years older than me and has 3 kids, but she's got as much passion about horses as I do. We talk everyday just about and ask when each other is going out to the barn. LOL Matt and I are both just thrilled to start with my horse.
The only crappy thing is that it has been raining the past few days and the round pen is soaked and when that happens you can't work a horse in those conditions. They are likely to slip and fall or the mud will slow them down and they could hurt themselves. So I'm having to wait until that dries up. I'm going to try and see if I can fix that this evening so it doesn't flood as bad. The only other area that I can work in is the covered arena and that's kind of small and I don't want to hog it when someone else wants to ride. Other than that though things are good. She has become fast friend with Joey, Sylia's horse. So later on she will go in that pasture with him.
Well I just thought I would update you guys with that. Miss B is doing well also. I can't upload pictures right now b/c our computer at home has a virus so we have it shut off right now and are going to buy some antivirus software next week. Stupid people and their computer viruses. I swear, people have no life. UGH Anyway, my mom is here also. She's excited to spend time with B. Matt doesn't get to go on his deployment like he was supposed to. :( I'm sad for him b/c I know he was really looking forward to going, yet I'm happy that he's staying and I don't have to spend that time away from him. Call me selfish, but I love my hubby and I hate sleeping without him...even when he does crowd me at night sometimes. haha ;)
Have a good hump day everyone! Gotta get back to work. ♥ K
1 comment:
Can't wait to see pictures of you on the horse cruisin around! I didn't know your mom was there now...did she bring Ace back?
Post a Comment